Manchester City host holders Liverpool in the Carabao Cup fourth round and all the action will be live on talkSPORT.
Premier League clubs make their return to action only a few days after the end of the World Cup to get their domestic campaigns back underway again.
GettyHolders Liverpool will defend their title at the Etihad Stadium in the fourth round
Jurgen Klopp’s side will be aiming to defend their title and now face a tough task after beating League One Derby County on penalties to make it through.
Man City have already overcome a challenge as they dispatched Chelsea in the third round thanks to goals from Riyad Mahrez and Julian Alvarez.
Man City vs Liverpool: talkSPORT coverage
This Carabao Cup fourth round game will be played on Thursday, December 22.
Kick-off at the Etihad Stadium is scheduled for 8pm.
talkSPORT will have live coverage of the huge clash, presented by Hugh Woozencroft.
Commentary will be provided by Joe Shennan and former Liverpool midfielder Charlie Adam.
To tune in to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 through the website, click HERE for the live stream.
You can also listen via the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
GettyMan City won four Carabao Cups in a row before Liverpool claimed the title last season
Man City vs Liverpool: Team news
Man City are likely to have midfielders Kevin De Bruyne, Rodri and Ilkay Gundogan all available after their early World Cup exits.
Erling Haaland should lead the line and could be even more dangerous after a month off.
Julian Alvarez is very unlikely to be involved as he competes in the World Cup final four days earlier.
Liverpool will remain without Luis Diaz for another three months after he was forced to have surgery.
However, they are expected to have many key players back in action for the game with only Ibrahima Konate still in action in Qatar.
GettyAlvarez is starring for Argentina alongside Lionel Messi at the World Cup
Man City vs Liverpool: What has been said?
After the draw was made over a month ago, Liverpool boss Klopp addressed what kind of team he could pick with the game being straight after the World Cup.
He said: “The thing is that we have a pre-season [training camp] before that game, so the players will be involved, definitely involved, hopefully, fit enough and stuff like this, and have a pre-season. I think that’s similar with City.
“City has definitely more players at the World Cup than we have. So, we have to see who is available. That’s always, by the way, the case: players’ availability and these kind of things.
“We will come back from our training camp [and] I will make the decision then around the game.”
AFPKlopp coudl field youngsters depending on how fit his key men are
Man City vs Liverpool: Match facts
- No side has been involved in more penalty shootouts in the League Cup than Liverpool (15), with the Reds’ last two games in the competition being settled by this method.
- This is the first time Man City are facing the holders of the League Cup since 2011-12, when they beat Birmingham City 2-0 in the third round. The only time they’ve faced Liverpool as holders in the competition was a 4-0 loss in October 1995.
- Liverpool have kept a clean sheet in seven of their last eight League Cup matches, including each of the last four in a row. Only once have they gone five without conceding in the competition, doing so between February and October 1984.
- Man City were knocked out by West Ham at this stage of the League Cup last season, last failing to make the quarter-final in consecutive campaigns between 2001-02 and 2006-07.
- Liverpool have won just one of their last seven away games against Man City in all competitions (D3 L3), 2-1 in the Champions League in April 2018.
- Manchester City have won just one of their seven League Cup games against Liverpool (D3 L3), winning 3-2 in the third round in 1969-70. However, the last such meeting between the sides was in the 2016 final, with the Citizens winning 3-1 on penalties following a 1-1 draw.
Betting Offer Of The Day
Bet365: Bet £10 Get £50 In Free Bets – CLAIM HERE
T&Cs: Open account offer. Bet £10 & Get £50 in Free Bets for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply 18+ Begambleaware.org
Originally Posted By Talk Sport